Friday, October 04, 2013

Take Time To Dance

Baptist Alert! You may find the following offensive!

I can probably count on one hand the number of times in my life that I have danced with my wife.

That is not because I’m against dancing, and it’s not because I don’t love my wife. I don’t have any good reasons why I have not danced more with my wife than I have. I just haven’t.

Yesterday morning, as I was in a hurry (which is most every morning) to get my stuff together to get to the office, I was about to walk through a doorway to get something, and Karla was standing in the doorway.

As I moved to one side of the doorway to slip past her, she moved immediately in front of me as if to stop me. As I then moved to the other side of the doorway to slip past her, she moved quickly to that side of the doorway to stop me again. This went back and forth until I said, “Oh - I get it - you wanna dance!” (remember - we never dance…..)

So I reached out my left hand to take her right hand, put my right hand on her lower back and we began to slow dance to no music. She actually complimented me on my dancing. The whole dancing experience lasted about 2 minutes (after all - I was in a hurry!)

Her physical interruption of my morning pace was spontaneous, make-me-stop-because-I’m-in-a-hurry, and never-in-a-million-years-would-have-thought-about-doing-that-at-that-time. It was 2 minutes of the pleasure of the company of my best friend/the one person in this world that I have given my life, love, all of myself to for almost 35 years.

So….take the time to dance - it was by far the best 2 minutes of my Thursday, October 3, 2013!

P.S. As we stopped dancing, I looked her in the eye, and said “we need to do this more often” - she agreed.